Author Topic: DIY Bakki Shower (HELP)  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Forever-Mango

• KSA Member - Cumberland
  • Member Australian Koi Forum
  • Koi Kichi
    • View Profile
    • Forever-Mango
DIY Bakki Shower (HELP)
« on: January 16, 2008, 06:52:36 AM »
Im planning to build a DIY bakki shower.

I got 4 SIGMA tubs today from work and planning to make a bakki shower. The tubs are normal tubs, so im planing to cut the base of all the tubs and attaching eggcrate to it to allow the water to gush down.

I have planned the top of tub 1 to be filter wool to get rid of solids, then big balls in the middle and the base is a piece of jap matt. this will then repeat down for the other 3 tubs. The water starts at the top and ends at the bottom. THis will provide high oxygen levels to the pond and will reduce nitrates :D Here is a plan...

First thing...other than the bakki shower media...what are some media I can use?

Second how and what size pump to use to pump water from my pond to the top of the bakki shower?

Any suggestions?
Mango

Proud Member of KSA - Cumberland
Member of Dogs NSW

Online Bradley Bradley

• Administrator
  • Life Member Australian Koi Forum
    • View Profile
    • Koi Society of Australia
Re: DIY Bakki Shower (HELP)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 04:09:39 PM »
Filter wool will be a bit messy. Why not another layer of Jap Mat or a microscreen?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 04:22:00 PM by mrbradleybradley »
Disclosure statement: These are my personal opinions and in no way reflect the recommendations or advise of any organization I may be a member, contributor, be employed by or associate with.

Offline burgo01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 08:20:14 AM »
Here are some photos of my TT setup. I am planning some mods to my pond and the TT in the near future.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 05:12:16 PM by mrbradleybradley »

bindi

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 07:46:01 PM »
Hi, Mango!
I've thought about making a BS.
They run high volumes of water over media like BS ceramic media and bio balls.
The ones of Momontaro (sp) run from a settlement chamber straight to the BS from what I can see.
I would be tempted to do it the same way. Only pump clean water through it. It would be less cleaning and if you use matting in each level like you have planned I think you will regret it eventually. You'd have to pull it apart to clean it because it will clog up. imo.
You could go settlement chamber to a box with the matting and pump from there to your BS.
The pump would have to be able to pump the volume of your pond every hour minimum.

Set it up and see how it goes for you! You can always tweak it later if it needs it.

bindi

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 08:01:47 PM »
Hi, Burgo!
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for showing us your TT design!
It looks easy to clean and simple to set-up!

What size pump are you running on it and what is the pond size?

Cheers.

Online Bradley Bradley

• Administrator
  • Life Member Australian Koi Forum
    • View Profile
    • Koi Society of Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 10:01:35 PM »
Trickle towers would alot better if the water entering them is already fines free to start with

BB
Disclosure statement: These are my personal opinions and in no way reflect the recommendations or advise of any organization I may be a member, contributor, be employed by or associate with.

Offline burgo01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 02:38:57 PM »
Here is the probable design changes to my pond. I am adding another TT prior to each pump, filter brushes prior to the first TT (first TT to be gravity fed) and a waste area for ease of maintenance. I will have dump valves from the set chambers and the pump areas to waste. Pond should end up around 15-18000 litres, Pumps are 9000L per hour each. I will also be putting a protein skimmer in which will also dump to waste.